Let me give you a little background. I work for a hotel management company. I used to be a general manager of a little 113 room boutique hotel and then we sold it in 2007. I didn't want to leave the company I worked for- I have a lot of respect for my boss, who happened to be my dad's boss in the 90's. I graduated with his daughter and my brother graduated with his other daughter. We have known them for a very long time.
Well fortunately, when we sold the hotel, our accountant who had her own business decided to close her doors. So, guess who became the accountant? :) Yup, you guessed it, Me. Let's rewind 7 years prior, while in undergrad at Kansas State University, when I had to take 2 accounting classes, not because I wanted to but because D does not = Diploma. Anyways, I learned a lot in the month I had in training with the old accountant. I am actually very good at my job, just a learning curve. I am a very personable person and I have been told that I am the "funnest and nicest accountant out there." When I took the position, I was told I was overpaid and underqualified so I persued my passion, Human Resources and have continued my education through MANY training seminars and classes and have an active roll on the board of our local SHRM (Society for Human Resource Management) chapter in Springfield. Let's just say now I am overqualified and underpaid for my position. Am I boring you yet?
I look to my boss as a role model, coach, manager, leader and father figure. It is hard to tell him things as I feel I will let him down and I am my worst critic. My job has A LOT of duties and knowledge. If something were to happen to me, I know that my boss would be devistated b/c no one knows EVERYTHING I do in my position.
In December, we were acquiring 3 new management contracts. My boss sarcastically (and inappropriately of course) said that he is going to buy me a chastity belt and he will hold the key. I don't think it's b/c he doesn't want me to have kids but because he is afraid I will leave to be a stay at home mom and no one else could fill my shoes. Well, I know that is not an option for financial reason even though I wish I ultimately could be a stay at home mom.
Well today, I thought I should tell him why I am having so many dr. appts. I am tired of lying. It was really funny b/c you should have seen his face when I said, "You know, when you told me you were going to buy me a chastity belt?" I explained to him that Emar and I could not conceive and we were seeking fertility treatments. He seemed genuinely concerned and asked what "they" (Dr. S.) is doing to help us. I explained. It went really well but I had a bunch of butterflies in my stomach the whole day leading up to the conversation.
The truth shall set you free!
ReplyDeleteGlad the conversation went well.
I'm glad it went so well, and I do think you are the nicest accountant I know! :) And I LOVE that you let me borrow chairs when my crazy big family comes in town... double perk for me! haha!
ReplyDelete