Friday, July 20, 2012

Breast Feeding

Before even getting pregnant, I would have never seen myself as a breast feeding mother.  I was formula fed as a child when they thought that formula had "all the nutrients" a kid needs.  It in fact grossed me out to think that I would have sucked on my mom's tit.  My mom used to joke around saying she would breastfeed me and use my ear as an ashtray. 

There is so much pressure out there for women to breast feed.  Yes, we all now know that breast is best but no one needs to judge others on what they choose to feed their child.  Regardless of what one feeds their child, it's none of my business.  I see so many women feel the guilt and feel like a failure if breast feeding doesn't work for them. We have enough stress and hormone rage that women don't need to beat themselves up over it if it doesn't work for them and their little one. 

I know that breast feeding is one of the most natural things a woman can do for her child.  I seriously couldn't stand the thought of a baby sucking on my breast, the breast my husband fondled.  It just seemed "gross" to me.  I did my due diligence and said I would give it a try.  Here is what I have learned over the past 7 weeks of breast feeding my baby.

1.  It's hard work:  Breast feeding is not the easiest thing even though it's so natural.  You and your baby must learn positions, latching, etc.  I apparently have flat nipples.  I would have never thought considering I "nip out" all the time.  The lactation consultant at the hospital helped me get Brett to latch on with a nipple shield.  I used it for about 2 weeks until the next visit with the lactation consultant helped us "graduate."  It was such a relief as it was one more thing I had to wash and always make sure I had with me at all times.  When we were in the hospital for the jaundice, I forgot it at home.  It was so frustrating (the whole situation+ not having the shield), I caved and supplemented with formula. 

2.  Have the right tools:  You must have a good pump.  I got the Medela Pump In Style from a friend.  Thanks to her, it saved me $300!    I bought 2 starter packs from Target which had 2 shields, valves, membranes and storage bottles for $24.99.  I also got some freezer bags and lanolin cream.  Last Friday, I purchased the Medela Harmony Manual pump.  I haven't played with it so I can't say much.  I seriously should have bought stock in Medela.  I started out with disposable breast pads.  I follow The Leaky B@@b on facebook and she mentioned Bamboobies.  They are reusable breast pads and cost about $40 for 6 pairs (3 daytime and 3 overnight).  I don't leave home without them.  I have started to leak less.  In fact, I am going braless tonight.  We shall see:) 

3.  Nutrition:  I have learned to drink lots of water. I fill up the hospital 32 oz mug at least 2-3 times a day.  Before pregnancy, I rarely ever drank water and now I don't feel like I can get enough.  I have a hard time eating enough.  I always feel hungry.  I try to keep granola bars by my bed so when Brett wakes me up, I immediately take my acid reflux medicine and then eat two granola bars before he gets too fussy.  I bought some protein bars last week to have on hand for a quick bite.  Those have helped a lot.  Snack pack cheese and crackers or peanut butter and crackers sit next to the glider in the nursery so I always have a snack.  I also have another mug that I keep full of water by the chair too.  I take my prenatals at night with an extra vitamin D pill. 

4.  Plan ahead:  Always make sure you go to the bathroom before you nurse.  There is nothing like having to pee so bad when you are nursing your baby.  There is nothing you can do and we all know our bladder control is not the greatest once we have a child! Brett eats every 3 hours for the most part (during the day).  Sometimes it's 2 1/2 sometimes 4.  I plan my trips out around this time.  I am not comfortable nursing in public yet.  I have tried with family but haven't gotten it down yet. I pumped a bottle today before I went out to feed him. 

5.  It's okay to supplement:  It's not my first choice but it is convenient to have those little Enfamil Newborn nursers ready to serve if you are out and about.  You don't have to worry about temperature or mixing.  We had to supplement while in the hospital for jaundice (see #1).  We also supplemented one bottle his first day home because my milk hadn't come in and he was a mess.  My primary goal is to breast feed but I don't beat myself up if he gets a formula bottle here or there. 

6.  Nipple confusion:  Brett has had a pacifier since 3 days old.  He has had at least one bottle (99% of the time breast milk) a day since he was probably a week old.  I honestly think nipple confusion comes in when you wait too long to introduce it to your child.  My sister in law was insistent upon breast only for the first 5 months of my nephew's life.  Well when he was failing to thrive, he wouldn't take the bottle.  We use Dr. Brown's bottles and MAM 6 month pacifiers.  I know each baby is different but Brett has never had a problem going back and forth between breast and bottle. 

7. Prepare yourself:  Emar and I took a breast feeding class put on by the hospital.  We learned a lot!  However, I left there thinking I would be an exclusive pumper.  Funny how things change!  One thing I learned, we took the class too early.  We should have taken closer to the due date (but what if you deliver early?) .  I have forgotten a lot of things from April 23rd class to May 31st delivery.  Here are a few websites I would suggest as well.  The Alpha Parent: Timeline of a Breastfed Baby and Lucie's List

8.  Set goals:  Because I was "opposed" to the idea of breast feeding, I have set goals for me.  The first one was to make it past the hospital.  Everyone talks about how great the colostrum is and how important that is.  I honestly don't know how much Brett really got those first 3 days until my milk came in.  My next goal was when I return to work.  Well that is just 11 days away (boo hoo!) and I know I am going to make it.  My goal after that is 6 months.  I always said, once they have teeth, no way.  Then again, I also didn't think I would ever be breast feeding.  Ha! I know the adjustment to going back to work and pumping will be hard but we will adjust and I will figure it out within the first couple of weeks back. 


1 comment:

  1. Breast feeding is hard work! Though I didn't exclusively breast feed because my daughter was 5 weeks early and she lost weight because of it. I started back up around 2 months which was fine with her and me... though I don't enjoy it though and actually only breast fed her in the morning and pumped through the day.. I was going to continue till 6 months.. I got to 5 months 2 days.. and I've made the decision to stop.. at this age they start to not want the breast.. well my daughter didn't.. I would wake up with her sit in a quiet room and she was completely distracted and didn't want the boob.. i read online this is commmon and usually babies stop wanting the boob.. so whatever works for you though.. I was a pump momma though.. I liked that better especially when I had to go out.. oh and I was selfish because I wanted sleep.. I wouldn't breast feed or give her breast milk at night so she got the formula and slept longer..

    ReplyDelete

Quote