My friend sent me an email back in August. It was about a dog transport. A dog transport consists of taking dogs (multiple) across state lines to get to a rescue or their forever home (usually 1 hour leg trips per driver). There is a kill shelter in Altus Oklahoma who gasses dogs. I can't imaging being suffocated to death. There are a lot more gassing facilities out there than I thought there were unfortunately.
I immediately called my dog lover friend, Lori and she agreed to help with the transport. There were 18 dogs being saved from Altus. They have a few coordinators across the states that arrange everything for this to be a success. We have detailed schedules with times, meeting places, which animals are riding with whom, bios about the dogs, cell phone #'s, types of cars, etc. This is a very organized "operation."
Well, the rookies, Lori & I picked 7 dogs up in the red rocket (what I refer as my mini-van). Majority were ankle biters and of course we got the blind and deaf schnauzer, Senorita. It was a great experience but we learned a lot of things - which the most important is, bring more crates! We had dogs everywhere in that van and it was stressful making sure the "loose" (tethered) dogs were o.k. at all times. That was the longest trip from Joplin to Springfield EVER.
It was a very fulfilling trip that the next weekend, we were approached to do another. Heck yeah! This time it was only with 2 dogs, Thunder & Jill . We decided to make it an overnight girls trip and drove from Springfield to St. Louis. We got a free hotel room at the Embassy Suites and hit up the casino! PS I won $22 - Woo Hoo! ha!
I can't wait to do it again!
Thunder wanted to drive with me (Found out today Thunder was adopted!!!)

Bethany - You are a such a good person!! I am surprised none of those dogs made their way back to your house though!! Love You!
ReplyDelete