We stayed in the Safari Lodge. It is compromised of 5 Huts with a pavilion that has a fire pit and hot tub. No kids are allowed at this part of the compound because there is high end artwork and the hot tub which the refuge doesn't want the liability of small children around those things- completely understandable. My brother, SIL and niece and nephew stayed closer to the animals. We fell asleep to the roar (caroling) from the lions and woke up to the sound as well. We could look out our balcony and there were deer at dusk and dawn. I even say my first LIVE armadillo. I never thought that would happen.
We stayed most of our time on the refuge. We got a tour from the owner and even got to see feeding time. It was a pretty intense time for the animals- with all the roars and attitudes. This is a non profit and Tyson donates all the food. It's crazy seeing these animals eat a whole chicken leg and thigh whole. One of the littler cats actually got a chicken wing stuck in his throat and they thought they would have to sedate him to remove it.... luckily he was able to get it unstuck!
I will leave you with some pictures and videos. If you are ever in the Eureka Springs area, be sure to stop by Turpentine. Arkansas seems to get such a "bad reputation" but it is some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever seen and I have been to a lot of places. I think my mom's 60th birthday was a success!!!
This was so funny, I had to get a picture! Seriously?
This is our room view from the balcony looking in.
![]() |
| View from our patio |
The black leopard... played red light/green light with the owner.
Beautiful Rainbow outside the pavilion
View at the refuge
Some of the tigers
A lazy bobcat
And I leave you with Brody the Lion getting a little excited for feeding time... if you know what I mean:)







I agree. Arkansas does receive a bad reputation, but that's only because of a select group of people there. If people would only experience the beauty of Arkansas, they'd not think as poorly of the state as they do. I'm so glad your mom's birthday went well.
ReplyDelete