Saturday, June 9, 2012

1st Hospital Stay- Jaundice

When we left the hospital on Saturday, they mentioned that Brett's bilirubin count was 10.6.  They have anything over a 10 rechecked.  We went to the lab on Sunday for a re-check and his level was 15.4. I wish I would have known more at this point, I would have asked for a Biliblanket.   We had an appointment the next day with our pediatrician.  They rechechecked him then and it had elevated to a 17.1.  We were headed to the hospital.  I totally lost it.  I know that it is a very treatable issue but with all the emotion one has after having a baby and then to see your baby be pricked in the heel 8 times in 36 hours was not fun.  We checked in around 2:30pm on Monday afternoon and were released about 24 hours later.  The room at Mercy was horrible.  The chairs were from the 1970's.  There wasn't a rocking chair to nurse.  The TV was small and you had to crook your neck to watch.  Poor Brett's little mask/goggles would not stay on his head.  Therefore, Emar and I got NO sleep on Monday evening as we were constantly readjusting his mask so his little eyes would not be exposed to the light. As we were getting discharged, I asked them about a Bilirubin Blanket.  They acted like they don't normally do this.  His level was at 11.2  and everyone said they want it 10 or below.  So- why would you send me home at 11.2 and not have any additional treatment?  Thankful for my "motherly instinct" we were sent home with a Bili Blanket.  We had a follow up the next morning with Brett's pediatrician.  His levels were down to 10.5 and we returned the blanket.  I am sure it is a lot lower now b/c he is having regular bowel movements which gets rid of the bilirubin.  Thank God! 
Here are a few pics of my little patient:)












2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your beautiful boy! So glad the bilirubin count has come down. That photo of him swaddled with the glasses on is too precious. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the birth and good luck with the jaundice - hope he gets all better. Sending hugs from my little one about to be born tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete

Quote