Sunday, July 14, 2013

Bittersweet

Well, I never thought I would get this far but I did.  You might refer back to this post about breastfeeding.

On Monday, June 17th, I decided that the day before was my last time nursing Brett.  My goal was 6 weeks- well, I made in 1 year and 17 days.  Holy Shit!  I had a little cry session the other night.  I have been super hormonal and I knew AF was going to make her grand appearance (and in fact, she arrived the next day!).  I reflected back to realize that I never really "grieved" the whole weaning thing.  I didn't get to cherish that last moment feeding Brett on Sunday.  It was just a normal day and I took it for granted.  I might have had a harder time weaning if I would have done it differently- so definitely no regrets.  I just don't really "remember" that last feeding and that's what I am sad about.  Good news is that Brett doesn't care and drinks milk like a champ:)

I had quite a bit of a frozen stash so Friday (July 12th) was the last day Brett had breast milk (had been mixing it with organic cows milk). I am definitely proud of myself for doing something so hard for so long and something I never thought I would do.


4 comments:

  1. Woohoo!! That's awesome! Drake is having a hard time with bottles right now (as in won't take one anymore) so I'm on the fence on if I should pump and store for later or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on making it so far! We are still going at 14 months! Onestepatatime.co.za

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same thing here - I weaned Stella cold turkey without planning it ahead of time, and I was definitely sad that I didn't cherish and get to remember the last time. :( Good for you for making it so long, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing job! I'm impressed. Well done. I could never have made it past a year; I'm so glad you were able to.

    ReplyDelete

Quote