1. Do you have a will? When did you draw it up and what sorts of things did you decide on with regard to guardianship? (Feel free to elaborate on what factors made various people in your life “eligible.”)
When deciding our will, it was simple. In fact, it was charged as a "simple will." That meant... if I die, Emar gets everything. If Emar dies, I get everything. If we both die, Brett will go to my brother and sister in law. Emar and I were chosen to have guardianship of their children too if they pass. It was actually an easy choice for
2. Where do you live? Are you in a house you hope to stay in for years? A city you’re desperate to escape? Are you farther than you’d like to be from family (or, ahem, too close for comfort)?
We live in a not to small and not to big city/town and we really like it here. It's not far from my parents and even closer to my brother and his family. Emar's family (parents and sister's family) live here also. I am fortunate to have great in laws. I truly enjoy hanging out with them. Now his other brother and family (live in Florida), that's another story:) As far as our house, I don't see us being here forever but don't know when we would move. Not sure we would be able to sell and break even in this economy right now. We are comfortable in our 1st little home.
3. Does the size of your world match your family’s needs (ie, do you need a bigger car or a house with an additional bedroom if you have another child)?
I think the size of our world matches our family's needs at the moment. Our house is a 1500 sq ft 3 bed 2 bath ranch.
4. Do you have other safety nets in place, like life insurance?
We have $100,000 each on us right now through my work. I actually got quotes last year (prior to having Brett) but never decided on how much and what type to get.
Thanks for the reminder (PAIL) to get on this!
I've been meaning to do my Will/Living Will/POA since Little K was conceived. She is now 7. Whoops. Better get on that!!!
ReplyDeleteUgh, Will and Living Will definitely need to get kicked up the priority list. It sounds like it was pretty easy to do though - thanks for the kick in the pants!
ReplyDelete